Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Treasure Hunt!

I forgot to finish and post this! This is from the first week in January. I made a treasure hunt activity for the kids at church for our Wednesday night activity. It was lots of fun--to plan and to participate!



I started by looking up scriptures that could be used as clues. For instance, one clue was Hosea 7:6. "For they have made ready their heart like an oven, while they lie in wait; their baker sleepeth all the night..." So they would go find their next clue in the kitchen of the church around the oven. I came up with 13 clues so they would stay busy for about an hour.

This activity involved all the kids (girls and boys) 12-18 yrs, so I had a large group to work with. I divided them into 6 teams, each with an adult leader to keep the group on track. Each team had their own set of clues to find around the church, and each group leader had a cheat sheet in case they couldn't figure out the clue, or the clue was taken by another group or person. With each clue there was a small assignment. Some of them were silly, like, "Jump up and down while patting your head and rubbing your stomach." Most of them were serious, like case studies about what to do in a certain situation. It was fun to walk around the church and see groups of kids excitedly flipping through their scriptures and running to the next clue.

At the end we all met in the gym for a closing prayer and treats. My partner in crime (another adult leader named Kathy) made the treasure chest cake, along with a bunch of cupcakes for the treat. I thought the cake was so cute! I wish I had a good excuse to make one now.


6 comments:

Amy said...

I heard about this fantastic activity, but it's so fun to see photos of what you did. Great job!

Anonymous said...

This is fun stuff. Good idea to use scriptures, but seems like that would take forever to find applicable scriptures.

Ali said...

What a fun activity! If ever I'm in YW, I'm going to be refering to your blog often I think:)

Summer said...

That looks so fun. That cake is so cute!

Wendy Jean said...

I'm glad you posted the scavenger hunt. I remember you talking about it and all the time you put into. Can I get your notes and use it for my YW activity? The youth in my ward would have fun with it!

Wendy Jean said...

oh - and I want an excuse to make the cute cake! :)