Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What's new with Choir

I'm singing in the Idaho Washington Concert Chorale again. It's been fun to see all my old friends again, and interesting as I sing in the soprano section. (I usually sing alto, but this time I auditioned the director said my voice "Really wants to sing soprano.")

Anyway, I thought I'd give you a sneak preview of the beautiful music we're going to sing. (This is not my choir.) Actually, I think it's probably going to scare all the kids in the audience. It sounds like crazy chaos for most of the song. It's like the soundtrack for an action adventure movie with religious undertones. (The words are sung in Hebrew.)



There's a part in the 2nd movement where they write in the music for the women to sing "Blissfully unaware of Danger." At the same time the men are supposed to sing, "Savagely." Do you think you can recognize that part? The women's part really is pretty.



I won't put the rest of the song and give it away for the people going to the concert. I have to leave a few surprises to jolt you awake for the rest of the song. (Don't you love how it lulls you to sleep and then surprises you with a bang? haha.) We really are singing other songs that are pretty, so don't be afraid to come to the concert. One of my favorites is, "Sure on this Shining Night." It's soft and peaceful.



The other exciting thing is that we will be getting new dresses for the choir. Our current dress is like a big black tent, best fit for wearing to the funeral of someone you don't like. They haven't made an official decision yet, but I think we will get the dress that I like the best. It's a velvet top and a separate skirt with pretty sparkles.

3 comments:

Granma Faye said...

Wow, that was really different...and seems fun to sing. Yeah, I was kinda lulled in to a peaceful place with the second clip and got surprised! I had forgotten you mentioned that would happen. That last song is very pretty, Holly. It was cool to be able to read the words as it went along. I'm so glad you have the opportunity to sing with this more professional choir.

Unknown said...

It's fun to play the two videos at the same time.

Wendy Jean said...

I'm glad you can sing with the choir again. That is so cool! Maybe when my kids aren't so little I can find a good choir to join also. I would love that!