Sunday, September 25, 2011

Face Feed...


Oops, I mean Faye's Feed.

My mom found this really good recipe for granola cereal and she started calling it "Faye's Feed" because it reminded her of bird feed. When I told Greg about it he said, "What? Face Feed?" So it's been kind of a joke since then.

Anyway, this stuff is really good. It takes a little bit to find all the ingredients, but you could alter some things if you can't find it and I'm sure it'd still be good. (We can't find rolled wheat, so we use a 5 or 7-grain cereal that includes rolled wheat.)

4 cups rolled oats
4 cups rolled wheat
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup unroasted sunflower seeds

3/4 cup thawed unsweetened apple juice concentrate
2 tsp vanilla (or more if you like)

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix apple juice concentrate and vanilla, then pour slowly over dry ingredients and mix well. Don't worry--it's impossible to evenly coat every piece wheat and oat.

Spread out granola on 9 by 13 baking pan or cookie sheet and bake at 275 degrees for an hour.

While granola is baking you can measure out and mix the following ingredients in a large bowl:

3/4 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup dried apples, cut into bite-size pieces (We haven't tried the apples yet.)
1-2 cups slivered almonds
3/4 cup chocolate chips
Cinnamon--a lot if you like it

I also added a cup of ground flaxseed to add more good-for-you stuff. Feel free to play with quantities, and/or add other things that sound good to you. I added twice as many dates because I love them, and half as many slivered almonds because I don't love them. Of course, you could probably add an extra bag or two of chocolate chips by that logic, but this is supposed to be a somewhat healthy breakfast.

Once your granola is done baking and COOLED, mix it all together in your large bowl with the dates and raisins...etc. This is very filling--not to mention it takes a long time to eat, so 3/4 cup is a good serving size for breakfast. (You will be sorry if you fill up your whole bowl.)

Hope you like it! I made a double batch because it keeps for a long time in the fridge in a sealed container, and it's sooo good! Thanks Mom for sharing!

3 comments:

Carrissa Hellewell said...

Yum! Looks good. I LOVE food :) Especially anything snacky. Yes, I agree. I love to find out the gender of the baby and I did with the 1st 2 but this time I felt like I wanted to wait, and its been really exciting. Something more to look forward to and its like a gift I get to open at the perfect time. You know?

Anyway, yes I am still working as a CNA. I love it! The smells bothered me in the beginning and still do occasionally, but you learn techniques to work around the smells ;) I plan to work til baby is born. And then possibly go back to my 2 days a week 3 months after. Its not too bad of a schedule and so I feel like I could do it!

Anonymous said...

Warning: This stuff will make you fat because the proper serving size is small and it tastes REALLY good. This isn't cornflakes, folks! You don't fill your bowl with it - use a measuring cup. I think a serving size is 3/4 cup. Unless you fortify it with chocolate chips or peanut M&M's - then the serving size is a tablespoon. :8)

Granma Faye said...

This really is the BEST cereal around. It's sooo good. Actually, "Faye's Feed" was in reference to the grain fed to cows and horses. hahahaha It just struck me funny one day as I saw all the grain in my big mixing bowl. Throw in some chocolate chips and...now you have great people food! Yum! And it's good for you, too.