Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Peppers were saved!

As you can see, our pepper plants are doing much better now that they live inside their little home.



And really, the whole garden is doing very well! (Despite the harsh wind) We had a pretty big windstorm last week that tore some of the leaves off the pumpkin plants, but I think they are recovering just fine.



These are my crazy weird carrots. I think I know what I did wrong, so next year I'll do better and hopefully get a crop of normal looking carrots. This first garden has been a really good learning experience for me. It's kind of fun to figure out what I should have done, and the consequences of my ignorance really haven't been that bad...I can handle funny looking carrots!



This is the first of the yellow crooked neck squash. I'm excited for these to mature. I love squash!



If you look hard, you can find about 11 tomatoes in this picture. I can't believe how many tomatoes there are! I think we're gonna get slammed with a whole bunch of ripe tomatoes all at the same time. That's when we'll pull out our salsa recipe and get to work!



This is the first tomato to ripen this season. I cut away the leaves that were shading it (tomatoes like direct sun on the fruit to ripen faster) and it started turning red really fast. I'll probably pick it in a day or two and have it in our salad. I almost can't wait for it to ripen all the way--I'm excited to pick the first tomato and eat it!



...And whenever I'm in the garden, I get that song playing through my head, "The prophet said to plant a garden so that's what we'll do!"

6 comments:

Ali said...

You could enter those carrots into a crazy shape contest! Wow! How would you peel those? And I am so jealous of your tomatoes. There is nothing better than garden fresh tomatoes. I am salivating.

Carrissa Hellewell said...

I agree with ALi-- I have never seen such interestingly shaped carrots! I didn't know that was possible! Looks like a great garden Holly!

Anonymous said...

When I see the carrots, I think of the movie, "Carrot Men From The Moon."

Granma Faye said...

Wow, Holly, I'm amazed at how much your garden has grown from the previous post! It's looking really good. Such funny-lookin' carrots, though! That's hilarious. Yeah, for the tomato crop. Ummm good...sun-ripened tomatoes are the BEST! All your hard work is paying off. : ) ♥

Kaela said...

I am so impressed with your garden labors!! I bet those carrots still taste great and I kind of like that they look so odd:)

Summer said...

Wa HAHAHAHHAHHAH Those carrots are so funny. They look like they got that wierd elephantitis disease. .hahahhahahh so funny holly! the rest of your garden looks realy good!