Thursday, June 19, 2008

Save the Peppers !


Our poor little pepper plants have only grown smaller since I planted them outside, so we decided to take action.


To combat the 90 mile an hour wind that blows across the garden area, we are building a little greenhouse.


Today we got the framework finished, and tomorrow we'll put the plastic on. We'll get a heavy duty clear plastic and cover the whole frame except for one window. The wind almost always blows from the west side, so it will be safe to keep the east side open. Then it can get air and be easily watered.


I bought some more pepper plants--the kind that our salsa recipe needs. I'll plant these tomorrow once we have the plastic on the frame and they are safe.


Greg put hinges on the frame also, so if I need to get in I can just lift the whole thing up and over. It will flip all the way backwards and rest on the ground if I want it to.


Ta Da!

4 comments:

Granma Faye said...

That looks pretty nifty, Holly. It's nice Greg is handy that way. Hopefully, that little shelter will help and the design looks convenient and practical. Who would've guessed you'd have a problem with wind!!? It never occurred to me! Talk about "opposition in all things!" Good grief! You've had your struggles protecting all those "babies" you raised from seed. If they don't make it, it won't be because you didn't try! ♥

Wendy Jean said...

Wow! I'm impressed. That's cool Greg can put that together for the garden. Our little garden is doing ok. We're just trying to keep up with the heat and watering it! I hope you can save your plants!

Summer said...

That is so nice that Greg helps with the protecting the Garden. We get wind too, but not that bad. The only thing we've worried about so far is our tomatoes, so we built circular fences with plastic around each one.

Jacqui B said...

That is pretty cool!

We are currently in Missoula Montana for the next month, then back to Guam.

I am currently the YW's first counciller (cant spell) It is a lot of fun. I have been in the states since May 27th. So I miss being back in Guam. I will be posting tons to my blog when I get to a computer that runs faster. lol... Take care and talk to you later.