Sunday, September 27, 2009

My poor sad but fruitful garden

Everybody laughs at how the buttercup squash grew up on the roof of that storage unit. I think it's kind of cool...it sort of makes up for how dumb the torn plastic of our greenhouse looks...


I've had a lot of trouble with this stupid green house thing we built, but at least the peppers are finally producing! We made a batch of salsa last week and will be making another batch tomorrow I think. It's been fun to share peppers with our friends too. I was able to put together a little "salsa kit" with all the peppers necessary for our favorite recipe and give it to my Institute teacher. He has tons of tomatoes too, so he only had to buy a couple things like an onion and lime juice. I'm still trying to decide if the cost of the garden will equal out with the money we save from growing vegetables...It sure has been a lot of work and frustration. I am confident that when we live in a house with a yard that doesn't have 90 mile an hour winds blowing, then our garden will grow better with less work and money put into it.

The four kinds of squash and pumpkins are all mixed up and growing through each other, but that's fine. It's almost like a treasure hunt. I go looking through the vines and leaves every once in awhile and find something new! The cantaloupe has also grown fairly well and I think we'll be able to harvest one very soon.

4 comments:

Annaliese said...

I'm finally committing to start my own veggie garden in our new house. I'm a little bit scared of all the work; but in Louisiana there's so much rain and sun I get the feeling you just throw seeds in the ground and stuff grows. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Anonymous said...

Your garden has given you food and experience, so I'd say it has been worth the expense. Now you know what NOT to do on my garden. :0)

Lory said...

I also vote that your garden was worth it! The jar of salsa you gave us didn't last long, and I'm enjoying the butternut squash-so keep those plants climbing the storage unit! After visiting you, I've made it out to the yard to work for awhile on 4 different days. Yes, you make a difference in our lives!

Summer said...

hey at least we've all benefited from your garden experiences! :)
By the time you get to a house with a regular yard, you'll be garden expert and all around people will come to you for garden advice.