Friday, December 18, 2009

Part Two of my Sunday Lesson

I showed you part of my lesson from Sunday about the value of work and the Little Red Hen, and this is the other part now. I had to teach two lessons combined, and the other part of the lesson was, "Using Time Wisely." I was supposed to use a jar, some biggish rocks and smaller pebbles or soil in the jar and just do it and show them. I thought that was a good idea, but I wanted to make it better. I wanted it to be "hands on" for all the girls, and I wanted it to taste good!

This is what I came up with: M&M's, chocolate chips, marshmallows, and rice krispie treats. I kept my containers of treats hidden under my jacket for the first part of the lesson so the plain bread would still be appealing. Haha! They got really excited when I revealed this part of the lesson because they thought they already got their snack for the day. (I make something to munch on for every lesson I teach.)


I gave the girls all the ingredients and told them to figure out how to make them fit in the container. The big colorful balls (rice krispie treats made with fruity pebbles) are supposed to represent things like reading scriptures, saying prayers, going to church...etc. The other little things are other parts of life like going to school, playing sports, doing chores and homework, hanging out with friends, playing video games...etc. And of course, the container is supposed to represent your day or life in general.

What they found was that if you tried to put all the little things in first, there's not room in the end to make prayer and scripture study fit in your day. But if you plan your day by first deciding that that you will do those things and when, then everything else just falls into place. I've noticed that when I do that, everything else either falls into or out of my life. The important things work out and the unimportant things go away and are forgotten. If there were too many of M&M's and they fell out of the container, you might say that means you've spent too much time texting your friends or checking out facebook and those things will fall out of your life when you put the important things first.

I think the girls liked that object lesson...especially since it tasted so good!

6 comments:

Kristi said...

That is a cool idea - I remember that YW lesson - but I like your version of the object lesson much better - I might steal it for FHE. Thanks for sharing!

Granma Faye said...

How unique and excellent, Holly. I think maybe you should be a teacher by profession. (Sorry, I know you love the horticulture, too, but teaching seems to come naturally for you.) Maybe you'll teach gardening! :) There's so many aspects of life that you can use that skill. I'm sure you'll find ways to incorporate it.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I've had that lesson too, but with rocks. Why couldn't I have a teacher like you!

Lory said...

Holly, I wish you were teaching my classes! I would love to pass this idea on to Tom. Is it patented yet?

Ethatch said...

You are soooo clever Holly! What a great object lesson!

Summer said...

What a fun idea! I bet those girl just love having you as thier teacher. You don't give the lesson the same way everyone else would. I want you to be my teacher!