Saturday, June 26, 2010

Plant Book!

I have started a huge but satisfying project! I am going through my plant lists from the last year and picking my favorite plants to collect. For instance, I have collected all the Maples and Viburnums that I learned in the first semester.


I am pressing the leaves I collect so they can be preserved. When I finished collecting and pressing all the plants, I will begin making The Book!


Each page will have a few pressed leaves--showing the front and back of each leaf. I will type up a little paragraph for each plant that gives the scientific, family, and common names of the plant along with important features that are used to correctly identify the plant.


I will put those pages in plastic page protectors and put them in a large binder. I plan to continue collecting plants later in the year so I can hopefully make pages of the same plants with their beautiful fall color.


It will be fun for me to look through the book later to remember and brush up on the things I learned, as well as to teach my kids! And if you come over to visit I'm sure will get to see it too!

5 comments:

Ali said...

Your kiddos will be PROS. That would be a really neat book to look through. I'm sure I'd learn a billion things.

Lory said...

This sounds like a lot of fun! I saved a similar book of animal feeds. Maybe not quite as interesting, but when I come across it, it reminds me of those days and brings a smile to my face.

Granma Faye said...

I can understand wanting to do this project. I've had my school stuff for now...how many years?...and I can't stand to throw it out. I put so much blood, sweat and tears into learning all the cranial nerves and thousands of other things. But storing all this stuff is too much. Hummm... no one will ever have as much appreciation for it as I have. And I know, you just don't want to forget all that you learned. It will be a nice book, Holly. It's looking good. : )

Wendy Jean said...

That book looks like it will be so nice! I know what Mom means about keeping school stuff and all the work that goes into it. I think I still have some of my high school geometry math notes that I wrote out so carefully. Maybe Max can use them in a few years - ha ha ha!

Summer said...

that will be nice holly. alot of work, but you can look back and be proud of it. better to do it now while it's all fresh in your mind.