Tuesday, August 3, 2010

California Trip (Day 6 and 7)

The Beach!


This is the day we planned to go to the beach all day, and several of Greg's relatives met up with us there. We went to Corona del Mar. It was so crowded! (That picture does not accurately represent the millions of people that were there. I think I took it later in the day when everybody was migrating away from the beach for dinner.) I have decided that California beaches are very different from Ocean Shores--our Washington beach.


There were big waves that crashed close to shore, and everybody thought it was fun to swim around and jump in the waves. There was also a ton of seaweed. It was icky gross seaweed. If you stood at the edge of the water, you had lots of seaweed strings that washed up around your ankles and between your toes (Ahhh! Not between my toes!) and it was impossible to avoid because there was so much of it. If you stood out farther where the strings don't seem to be, you would get huge masses of fat seaweed wrapping around your legs and getting tangled up around you feet. That grossed me out a little, but it also was kind of scary to not be able to walk or take a step when I wanted to, because that was right where the waves broke and the water really pushed you around. (Yeah, I probably sound like a wimp. Oh well.)


So, overall, I didn't have a lot of fun in the water because it was so strange and new to me. I pushed myself and spent some time getting used to it, and I can imagine if I had more time or if I had grown up playing at those beaches I could have learned to enjoy it more. Greg had a really good time playing in the water. He just ran right out to the water and dove into the waves.


I liked sitting at the water's edge and playing in the sand. It's been years since I've done that. Greg bought me a bucket and a shovel for a surprise on the way to the beach. I used it to dig a big deep hole that filled with water. Even though there were lots of people running around and kids screaming in the water, it was kind of peaceful to just sit in the wet sand and watch Greg play in the waves. I think he was a fish in another life.


We went to the beach the next day with just the two of us and Greg's Aunt Carol. It was nice to spend more time with her because she had been out of town for the first part of the week. She's fun and nice, and just like Greg she always cracks me up.


Before we met up with Carol, we went to the tide pools nearby. It's like a separate little beach with lots of rock where you can find little sea creatures in the shallow water.




That was one of my favorite parts of the beach--it reminded me of playing at Lion's Field in Bremerton.





Yes, advertising is even at the beach. There were two or three different messages that floated through the sky at the beach that day.


In the evening we met up with Grandma again at Chrissy's karate lesson. She was practicing with her tufas.



After Karate, we all headed back to Grandma's to play cards and make s'mores in the backyard. I love playing cards with Greg's family!




PS. This is my souvenir from the beach. The sand was so hot that I burned/blistered my feet by taking about 3 steps off my towel, so I kept my sandals on the whole time.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I lived in California, the beaches were awesome. There was nothing in the water but sand. Everyone played in the water and laid out on the beach to get brown. It was the most beautiful enjoyable place on earth. Now the beaches have brown froth and dead jelly fish and all sorts of junk. Sorry you had to deal with seaweed!

Kami said...

We just came back from "Ocean Shores!" It was cold and the kids insisted on wearing sweatshirts until about lunchtime when the clouds finally started to burn off and the sun graced us with its presence. I vacuumed the last of the sand today. We brought some of it back with us on our dirty clothes.

Ali said...

haha! Your feet tan lines are awesome.

Granma Faye said...

Did you see on the news about the shark that actually came onto the beach? Forgot where that was but someone shot video of it. Scary! Anyway, California beaches are still pretty nice (looking at Dad's comments) compared to our usually COLD ones. Looks like fun. Your feet look like zebras. hahahhaha

Wendy Jean said...

that looks so nice at the beach. i've missed it the last couple of years. I know what you mean about the seaweed wrapping around your legs and toes - it's gross but i got used to it. love the tan marks on your feet. :)