Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Girl's Camp!


Turtle on a Stick! Turtle on a Stick!


We're having oranges! We never used to....until Katelyn, came to our camp!

The orange letter "T" stands for the Terre View Family! We're Pullman! Ya ya ya, Pullman Girls! Ya ya ya, Girls Camp! We have three cabins--try all three!

This is just a small sample of the things you might hear if you spent a little time at girl's camp with me. We had a really good group of girls this year: Great YCL's that led their girls and great girls that had fun doing what they were supposed to. I also had fun being with our ward's leaders and sharing the cabin with the another leader who is one of my good friends. We all got along so well! (Sorry--the picture didn't focus right.)


That's Brother Dangerfield being dubbed a turtle for Girl's Camp. The theme was, "Inside Out" and our mascot was a turtle, so the men all had to wear turtle costumes. That consisted of a large basket that was worn like a backpack with straps, and a green circle of fabric over their necks. Every morning and evening our Sunshine Lady would bring out Turtle on a Stick and we would cheer for our mascot.



Camp is fun because you can have people do your hair and everybody wears flowers or bandannas and fun things in their hair. My friend, Heather, did my hair almost everyday as well as several others in our ward. I love the French twist! I just can't figure out how to do it on my own hair.



For part of certification, the girls have to demonstrate that they can do first aide for different kinds of injuries. The leaders got to put on make-up and pretend to have certain problems like heat stroke, broken bones, snake bites, etc. That was really fun. The girls all did a good job and they even carried me across the field with the new hold they learned.





Here's a few camp skit pictures. The skit by the stake leaders was really funny. And the poor men who were there as Priesthood leaders put up with a lot. They were so cute wearing their turtle costumes and going along with all the silliness of Girl's Camp.



(Kim is such a funny girl. She's actually pretty girly, but for this skit she dressed up like a guy and it was so hilarious. We all laughed so much when she made her entrance.)



Here's a few pictures from the big activity. The girls were blindfolded and then led through this obstacle course that was designed to make them feel like they were crawling through caves and caverns and on the edge of a cliff...etc. It was fun to be a part of as a leader and get to watch them all working together to get through it. At the very end, they were led to a cabin with soft music and pictures of Christ, and there was a quote on a large poster on the wall, "I once was blind, but now I see." When everybody got there, they had a devotional about Christ. It was a neat activity.






This is from our hike. The teenage girl is one of my old Mia Maids that moved up to the next class. It was fun walking and talking with her on the hike--she reminds me so much of my old friend Whitney. I kept forgetting that I'm not 16 anymore when I was hanging out with her and her friends.


These pictures are from the "Spiritual Spa." We all sat on blankets on the grass and did "spa things" (like special scrubs for our hands and feet, and a face mask) while a lady with a soft voice talked about our inner and outer beauty, using quotes from scriptures and prophets. It was so relaxing and nice. The soft music in the background was nice but not so loud that we couldn't still hear the birds chirping in the trees around us.





I loved being at Camp Wooten. It was so pretty, and I had a good time with my girls. In fact, I think this was my best year of camp so far! I'm really going to miss my girls and the leaders when we move away from Pullman!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great time. Especially when got to "use" the Priesthood. ha ha ha

Granma Faye said...

What a busy summer you've had! Nice to have so many varied activities and positive experiences. : )