Monday, November 22, 2010

How to roast a turkey....(not really)


So, I bought a turkey for the first time. All the grocery stores in the area have been competing a lot since that giant Walmart came to Pullman. I think the best deal was at Safeway: Buy $25 worth of junk and get a turkey for 25 cents a pound. It's pretty easy to spend $25 on groceries, so I decided to get a turkey to bake and then freeze the extra meat. My turkey was 23 pounds and cost about $7. Cool. I went back today to get another turkey for my sister to stick in her freezer.

I knew that getting a real turkey would be a disgusting experience, but I put off thinking about it while it thawed in the fridge. I even managed to forget about it while it thawed in the sink with water this morning. But this afternoon I couldn't deny it anymore. I really had to take the plastic off that raw turkey and pull the guts out. Ick! My friend suggested I get some gloves, and that significantly helped. Oh, but it was so gross even with gloves!


I put on a Harry Potter book and tried to just listen to the story and not look at the turkey as I reached inside and pulled the neck out. Who eats the neck anyway? And then I pulled out the bag of guts....does anybody really want that? I felt like throwing up, but somehow I managed to get that turkey in the bag and into the oven.

After that, I changed all of my clothes and washed up to my elbows. (I felt like taking a shower, but didn't.) I also sprayed down the kitchen with disinfectant and cleaned the sink. I think I might mop the floor, just in case something splattered on the floor without my notice.

I sure hope this turkey turns out good! I think I'm starting to understand why some members of my family never get whole turkeys anymore...

Maybe in a couple hours when I've gotten my appetite back and the turkey smells good I will be glad. What do you do for Thanksgiving? Do you cook whole turkeys or little turkey roasts?

6 comments:

Granma Faye said...

Oh...that is so hilarious, Holly! I'm laughing right out loud. Yep...that's me! I go for easy and it's just a turkey roast for my dinner table! hahahaaa I love your description. Too, too funny : )))

Anonymous said...

I think it is an ultimate grossness that we have to eat disgusting animals. I would be so happy to go vegetarian if I wouldn't feel so empty inside from a meatless diet.

We watched Under The Sea by National GeoGraphic. The Graphic part was animals eating each other. The cute (not!) cuttlefish is like a small octopus. They showed it grabbing a fish...well, anyway, it was pretty disgusting. All those animals eating each other alive. I don't get it.

Ali said...

I've never prepared or cooked a turkey before...and I've never watched it be done either! In fact, the whole idea intimidates me beyond words...and this post didn't help!!

For your hard work's sake, I hope it turns out awesome!

Holly said...

Haha, sorry Ali. I'm sure you could do a great job with that.

Kami said...

It's a good idea to either keep the "innards" in the turkey cavity or fill it with stuffing or veggies because if it's left empty when you bake it, the turkey will dry out. Veggies or stuffing keep the turkey moist and a more even heat distribution. We like to rub it down with salt, pepper, and oil before baking it. Good luck!

Annaliese said...

Ha ha, you sound like me. Any meat that isn't skinless, boneless chicken pieces becomes Spencer's domain. Looks like it turned out good though. Bravo!