Sunday, November 11, 2007

Dinner Idea--Navy Bean Soup!

I found this in my "Fix it and Forget it" cookbook and wanted to try it because it looked so easy and good....and it is!



Ingredients:

1 pound dry navy beans
6 cups of water
1 onion finely chopped
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground thyme
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
2 garlic cloves minced
1 pound ham chunks

To Do:

1. Soak beans in water overnight. (I actually put in them in boiling water for about 3-5 minutes and that works just as well.) Strain and rinse.

2. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.

I added chopped carrots and that was pretty good. The recipe says you could also try adding celery or 3-4 cups of canned tomatoes. I think tomatoes would be kind of weird though.

It's been cooking all day in the crock pot and made the house smell so good. I just tried a little sample and am very excited for dinner tonight. Yum!



Greg suggested I make cornbread to go with the soup next time. It's perfect for a Sunday evening dinner. Enjoy!

(P.S. I found that the soup is best fresh...after a couple days it's not quite as good. You could probably freeze it though--if you made too much to finish in time)

2 comments:

Kaela said...

Sherrill got me this book for my wedding. I love it too! I haven't tried this recipe though- thanks for the suggestion.

Summer said...

That soup looks yummy!