Saturday, November 3, 2007

Fresh Apple Cream Cheese Crumb Cake!


I found this somewhere online and tried it this morning, and it is super good! A glass of apple juice and maybe some eggs would make it the perfect breakfast! It's not hard to make--it just takes a little bit of time to prepare the apples and put it all together. I had company over for breakfast, so I got everything ready last night and just had to mix the wet and dry ingredients, and then throw it all in the pan this morning. Hope you like it!

By the way, I think this is about the goofiest picture I've ever seen of myself, so I just had to put it up!

(I did some copy/pasting, and somehow the formatting got weird and I don't know how to fix it, so hopefully you can just be patient with the weirdness.)


1.5 hours 30 min prep Preheat oven 350 degrees

1 (8

ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1 1/2

cups sugar, divided

1/2

cup butter (no subs!)

2

large eggs

1

teaspoon almond extract

1 3/4

cups

all-purpose flour

1

teaspoon baking powder

1/2

teaspoon baking soda

1/4

teaspoon salt

1/4

cup half-and-half cream or milk

4

cups apples, peeled and sliced

2

tablespoons fresh lemon juice

2

tablespoons flour

1

teaspoon cinnamon




  1. Set oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, 1 cup sugar (can use more sugar for a sweeter cake if desired), butter, eggs and almond extract; beat until well combined and smooth.
  4. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  5. Blend into the cream cheese mixture alternately with the half and half or milk (if using); mix well until combined.
  6. Pour the batter into prepared baking pan.
  7. Dip apples into the 2 Tbsp lemon juice.
  8. Toss with 2 Tbsp flour, 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. (I used about 1.5 Tbsp of cinnamon, and added a few sprinkles of ground cloves and 1/8 tsp of nutmeg. That makes it taste like Christmas!)
  9. Arrange the apple slices evenly over the cake batter (pushing the slices into the cake batter slightly).
  10. Bake 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean -- DELICIOUS!

4 comments:

Ali said...

Yummo! Thanks for the recipe...I'll have to try it out.

Anonymous said...

That is the absolute goofiest picture of you I have ever seen, but something tells me this record won't stand for long.

Kaela said...

Looks yummy:) I LOVE the picture of you winking with your tongue touching the delicious morsel!!

Summer said...

That's a funny picture! we laughed. Mom wants to try out your recipe. (she wants to leave comments on your blog too, but has been too busy with Grandma)