Friday, February 15, 2008

A model of a plant cell....Yum!

First Place Winner!



I made a model of a plant cell for my College Biology class. We could choose to work alone or with a partner. We also could choose to make an animal cell or a plant cell. The animal cell is the bare minimum, but if we did a plant cell with the extra parts (Chloroplasts, Water Vacuole...etc) we would receive extra credit for each of those extra parts. On Thursday, the class voted on their top 5, and then picked the top 3 from those 5. The third place winner received 5 extra credit points, and the second place got 7 extra credit points, and first place got 10 extra credit points! When it was time, the teacher slowly read the results of the votes. "Josie got 23 votes, Third Place!...Michael got 26 votes, Second Place!.....and Holly got 43 votes! First place winner!"

I also made cupcakes for the class, since it was Valentine's Day...And I knew that a lot of the people (including my teacher--who told the class this)thought that they would get to eat my project since it was a cake and completely edible. I made cupcakes with the bottom half chocolate cake with chocolate chips, and the top half pink vanilla cake with pink frosting. They are pretty good! I saw some people go to get their third cupcake at the end of class!

I made a slide show with all of the cell projects that were made. It's kind of fun to see what everybody did. Some of them were very creative! It was a hard choice for me when I was voting.

5 comments:

Granma Faye said...

That really turned out pretty cool, Holly! Wow, there was a good variety of models and fair competition. I was surprised at the basketball cell! hahahaha :) That's neat you had fun with it, got the extra points, and even made it edible, too! Good job! ♥

Kaela said...

I agree that yours is the best- impressive really! We did something like that when I was in school and my group did it with jello. It was one yummy cell:)

Summer said...

Was it hard to eat it after all that work? :)

Holly said...

Haha, no. We didn't eat it Summer. I just picked it up from school today. It's been sitting in the student lounge for everybody to see, and it's hard as rock. And the plasmodesma is missing. Who knows how many people touched it! That's why I brought cupcakes for the class...since we wouldn't be eating the cell like everybody thought.

Granma Faye said...

I had to go back and check out your labels to see what the heck a "plasmodesma" is. So, someone just couldn't resist being a plasmodesma bandit! They probably took off with it when the cell was still fresh and inviting. hahaha I was thinking that was sick....but, it's OK. It's a plant cell. :) So what's the function of plasmodesma?