Friday, February 1, 2008

Snow Date


Greg built a really nice sled with skis from the second hand store, wood, and rope. He was down in the shop working on it all day today, and around dinner time he finally came up. "It's Finished!" he exclaimed. I was in the middle of baking some cinnamon pockets, so I didn't go out with him...but I got some pictures of him through the window.



Greg ran up to the top of the hill and slid down on the sled. This is just before he stopped, saving himself from a fall off the 6 ft retaining wall that supports the wheat field.



We decided to take the sled and walk up the hill to a little cafe for dinner. Unfortunately, the sidewalks hadn't been plowed yet, so it didn't work for him to pull me on it like we planned. We had a nice dinner, and I had a surprise meeting with a friend from Bremerton. It's fun to find people I know all the way over here! We rode the sled back down the hill and turned into the parking lot of the apartments next door. With so many cars driving over the snow, the parking lot was basically an outdoor ice rink, set on a big steep hill! We took turns running to the top of the hill and sliding down full speed, while the other person waited below and watched for cars. The sled is so good--you can even steer.

On the way home from the parking lot, we were walking through the alleys between rows of storage units, and we got caught up in the snow and how deep it was in places. The crazy wind has been blowing so hard that it's shaped the snow into really big snow drifts in places. Greg fell down and disappeared into one. So I found a really good bank of snow and started digging. We both worked on digging our caves in the snow until I was too tired to dig anymore. I can crawl completely into my cave with room to spare. It's fun, but I feel intensely claustrophobic if I go in head first. I crawled in feet first so my head was closest to the opening. Then Greg came to look and started coming in too, and I felt panicky and had to push him out. Hahaha! Isn't that silly? We had a fun date tonight. I'll have to go take a picture of our caves in the morning.

4 comments:

Granma Faye said...

Wow, that looks like a really, really good sled. Well built, Greg. That would be so fun to go sledding. Gee, ya got enough snow around there! It makes up for all the times in Bremerton when we just got teased with a little and then it rained and got washed away overnight. I don't think the snow you have there is going anywhere soon! The only snow cave anyone could make here would fit a mouse! :) ♥

Kaela said...

How inventive!! What a fun date!

Ali said...

That is an intense sled! He's great at building all these things! I'm looking forward to the cave pictures. :)

Summer said...

That cave sounds fun! You guys should make an igloo now. :)
Good job on the sled Greg!