Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Canned Salmon


Do you see that nice picture of a delicious sandwich on the salmon can? I thought I would make that for dinner last night. I just bought this one can to try it out, and I was kind of excited because I thought it would be pretty good. I noticed on the back of the can it said something like, "The small amount of skin and bones are a good source of calcium and Omega-3 fatty acids. Just mix them in with the rest of the salmon and eat." Hmmm. So I opened the can and kind of drained it, then I dumped the can upside down into a bowl. It looked so gross! I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of it, but you can imagine wierd random fish parts covered with the silver salmon skin. It looked icky! There was a LOT of skin on that fish! But I sucked it up and just mixed everything together like the can said to do. I noticed tiny hair-like bones through out the whole mixture, but decided that would be ok. They looked kind of soft and bendy, so maybe it would bother Greg. Then I noticed a bigger bone. It was a circle. I snatched it out of the mixture and it was very sharp! Then I started noticing those weird circle bones all over the place in my bowl of fish! I spent a long time trying to pick them all out. I couldn't believe they said to just eat them! Somebody would choke and gag on them, not to mention how cut up their mouth and throat would be from trying to chew and swallow those bones! It looks like part of the spine maybe.



So after all of that, I tried to not be grossed out. I mixed some mayo in (like making tuna fish) and took a little taste. It was gross! It was incredibly salty and just tasted off. Not at all like Salmon from Ivar's. I had Greg taste it (without telling him how grossed out I was) and he thought it was weird too.

So we made tuna fish sandwiches for dinner.
The End.

7 comments:

Annaliese said...

Sad! I have had good Salmon from a can though, so I know it exists out there somewhere.

Granma Faye said...

Oh..sad, Holly. There went your good plans for dinner. I've had better salmon than that, too. Was it the cheapest brand? I bet they put alot of the skin in there as a filler. When I was a little kid I was fascinated by those little round bones and I thought it was pretty cool that you could eat them. I always liked that extra little "crunch". I would ask Mom, "Is this the meat that has those bones in it that you can eat?" When she said yes it was, I was always excited to dig in. Funny, huh? They were actually pretty soft from being canned and they never bothered me. I hadn't thought about that for years until I saw this entry. : ) ♥

Unknown said...

Ok so I hate fish, even tuna, but I think that I might puke and die if I opened it up and saw bones, especially the circle bones.

Unknown said...

you're very brave for trying it!!!

Holly said...

Haha, you always make me laugh Kirsten!

Wendy Jean said...

too bad holly. that is pretty gross. i remember liking the bones in the canned meat like mom. it gives it an extra "crunch". ha ha ha! i bought canned salmon from costco and it was good! try that one next time.

Ali said...

You're kidding!? Oh that is so sad. Who could eat that? Way to ruin some salmon for you, huh? I would stick to tuna from now on, too.