Wednesday, May 20, 2009

So Cute, but not really

Tonight when I got home from mutual, it was a little before dusk and I saw this dark little mass bouncing along on the pavement. It was heading out of the garden and towards the house, and I knew it had to be a mouse. I thought it was funny that it was so slow. I hopped out of the car and kind of stomped towards it, hoping to scare it away, back into the field. It was pretty tiny, so I thought it might be a new little baby mouse. It seemed disoriented, and instead of running away it ran towards my stomping feet. (Just like Gus on the Cinderella movie.) Surprised--I and jumped away trying not to squish it with my crocs. It would have been horrible to step on that little mouse!

(This isn't actually the mouse I saw, but it looks exactly like it. I didn't have the camera with me when I saw it.)


The mouse ran towards the storage units and hid in the corner where the door meets the ground. I got a handful of gravel and started throwing rocks in that area to scare it away from the door and hopefully towards the field again. It wouldn't budge. I had to actually hit it with the rocks to make it move. I felt bad, but if I bounced the rock off the wall right behind it, then the force of the rock would push it forward away from the wall.

After getting it about a foot away from the wall with the rocks, I decided to get the shovel and try to scoop it up. The mouse acted like it was drunk. It would fall on it's side and roll on it's back, and then get up and turn in a circle, and fall down again. It was really hard to scoop it up without just squishing it. I finally got it on the shovel, then walked out to the field and tossed it.

It was so sad. I think it's tail and maybe a leg got squished with the shovel, but I'm wondering if that mouse might have eaten some poison already. It might have been acting crazy because it was on it's way out of this life anyway.
Having mice around is a very bad thing, but seeing that little one up close, and when it was still alive made it really hard to keep hating mice. It just looked so cute and I wanted to hold it and pet it and feed it treats. Haha, I wanted to let it run around in colored tubes hooked up to a cage with a fun wheel where it could run, and a water dish.........Oh poor little mouse.

9 comments:

Lory said...

Holly, Isn't it funny how we want to keep these little guys out-but they can be cute. Birds in the attic-that's another one. There were birds in the attic over my bedroom-I woke up to their little noises and feet on the ceiling-I never told anyone because they became my friends-just their sounds. Pat tells me about how bad that is, but I'm glad they were there. Lory

Unknown said...

it does seem sad:( he actually is kind of cute, for a nasty little guy. If we get a mouse outside Harly(our cat) will kill it and leave it's left overs for me to see. Johannes will just squish them with his shoes- I would be more like you and probably try to rescue them.

Ali said...

It's funny, (maybe you're the same way), had I seen a wild mouse fifteen years ago, I would have been delighted and wanted to keep it as a pet...now, I would just scream and want it to GO AWAY! Your tough- and I think i have it hard getting rid of spiders sometimes!

Summer said...

Funny little story holly. I can just picture you doing all those things to get rid of it. I bet if I was there we would be laughing the whole time trying to get rid of the mouse. after tossing it in the field it probably sprained it's ankle and had to just lay there in pain awaiting FOR some larger rodent to eat it. poor
MOUSY HHAHAHA

Kaela said...

That looks like my first pet:) Very cute! I was just admiring a squirrel outside our window with Paul the other day and wishing more animals could be domesticated like cats and dogs!! Maybe in our next life it will all be like that and we can be like Sleeping Beauty singing and dancing with all of the creatures there are on earth here to roam with us:)

Granma Faye said...

Yeah, just like Kaela said--wouldn't it be nice to be in an ideal setting instead of having these cute little buggers get into our food and clothing and wrecking it all? That picture looks so cute but then mice are kinda creepy, too.

That's sad about that one you saw, Holly. I'm sure it was suffering from the poison you put out earlier. : ( But, things are not ideal and those little guys do lots of damage and carry disease. Too bad. I guess I just like them as statues and in pictures...and, of course, in the Disney movies! ♥

Ethatch said...

You have a sweet, soft heart. And it surfaces even for pests. As a child my sisters and I did catch baby mice in the grain field when my father was harvesting oats and wheat, he would disturb their nests. We would walk through the stubble and 'rescue' them and make homes for them out of match boxes...sadly they usually didn't last more than a few days. My dad never really appreciated our fascination...

Anonymous said...

We had mice out at Grapeview. I had to set traps. We'd hear the traps go off in the middle of the night, and I'd get up to dispose of the body. Unfortunately, the traps never whacked'em on the neck for an instantaneous kill. Instead, they'd always have just a leg in the trap, and would be scooting around in a circle. I was left with the task of drowning them. I couldn't just flush them down the toilet because that would leave them alive down there for a long time - eck! I got no satisfaction in bringing about the death of these little creatures who were quite a work of art.

Wendy Jean said...

I enjoyed reading your story. You told it very well. It made me smile. :)