Saturday, June 20, 2009

Planting time!

Just thought you'd like to see how the garden is coming along.

The green house is kind of an added bonus for the rest of the garden. I didn't realize until just the other day that it blocks a lot of wind for the rest of the garden too. I used some of the boards from Greg's school conference and the race track the guys built to help block a little more wind there. It looks kind of junky, but at least my plants are growing well. I'll probably take those boards down a little later once the plants are strong and well established.


It was a little tricky cutting into the black ground covering to plant the squash, but I think it turned out pretty good. Those patches of soil that are uncovered have carrots, onions and garlic growing there. I just wish that goofy fire hydrant wasn't right in the middle. I'm definitely not having a fire hydrant in the garden when we move into a house!

2 comments:

Granma Faye said...

That's so funny, Holly--yeah, a garden isn't the usual spot for a fire hydrant, huh? hahahha It could be convenient if you needed to flood your garden in a hurry! : ) You're making the best of your situation and it's amazing the amount of produce you can get from a small space. ♥

Summer said...

I was thinking that too. I think I would have looked at that space and thought, ah! There isn't enough room here for a garden.
You are doing exactly what I've been reading about in the Ensign. good job! hey, you should submit your garden experience and write something to the ensign to inspire others about how you can find the smallest areas to plant. that would be cool!