Friday, January 8, 2010

My Purse! Finally!

This year for our Girl's Weekend Wendy had the idea of making this cool purse. We all were making our own purses, taking turns on the two sewing machines and watching the babies. I ended up playing with the kids more than sewing, so I didn't finish my purse. Mom and Summer and Wendy would say, "Do you want me to just do this little part for you?" and of course I was having fun with the kids and didn't mind the help on the purse. (I like to call it the "Community Purse" because everybody worked on it. Haha!)

So I brought my purse and sewing things to Mom's so we could finish it during the Christmas break. We worked many hours on it, and it turned out great! The pattern didn't give any pockets inside, so we added extra features to make it cooler. This is one side of the inside. Mom had the idea to put elastic in the top of the pockets so they are stretchy and stay closed. I had the idea to make a separate pocket that snaps in and out easily. Mom pretty much sewed that one with the zipper part--it was really hard. She also made a nice little pocket in the front where I can slip in a chapstick. It's perfect!


This is the other side of the inside. There is a bigger zipper pocket and a place to clip my keys.


This shows how those magnetic snaps go in. I really like those! We made really strong reinforcements to keep the snaps from ripping out. It was tricky figuring out how to put it all together.


Mom did the hard parts for me. I was glad because I'm not very experienced with sewing and I didn't want to ruin my pretty purse.


Mom got this picture to show the clock. It says 1:30, and that's in the morning.


It was fun to work on my purse with Mom. She surprised me and made this nice make-up bag with the rest of the material from her purse. It's such a pretty pink (it matches the pink strip on the outside of the purse), and you can easily spot it in my purse.


Ta Da! Thank you everybody for helping me finish this purse!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are cool purses. I wish I had one!

Ali said...

How fun to do a sewing project with your Mom...those are the best times. I wish I could do more like that! Nice to have a purse tailor-made especially for your needs too! Congrats!

Summer said...

That turned out so nice! i like the make-up bag too. It's such pretty fabric!

Carrissa Hellewell said...

Thats way cute holly! I love it!