Saturday, January 9, 2010

Old Plants and New Plants!

Hello
I've been fighting those stupid flies in my plants, and I think I finally beat them. I took all my plants out of their pots, thoroughly washed all the pots in the bathtub, washed all the dirt out of the plant roots, and thoroughly sprayed down all the plants in the bathtub. Then I re-potted them all with new fresh potting soil, and now they are all in one room together where the flies have never been. I'm hoping these efforts pay off! I haven't seen any flies for a few days now, so I'm thinking it might have worked!


Once I'm really sure, I will put all the plants back in the places they usually live around the house. It's kind of fun to see them all together like that though. I could arrange them and make it feel like a little jungle or forest!

This is my attempt to be creative. My friend gets baskets and arranges plants together in the baskets to look nice, so I thought I'd give a try with a few of the cacti.


These are the new plants I got the other day. There is a polka dot plant that has pink spots on it, and a snakeskin plant that shows a pretty white vein pattern on the leaf. I don't know what that other plant is but it looks cool! The leaves are actually green, but the plant looks purple because of the thick purple fuzz growing on all the surfaces. It has one large leaf sticking out with no fuzz, I'm not sure why.


I put them in a covered bowl so I can see if they are clean or if they will contaminate the other plants with bugs. I don't want to bring in more pests!

Last of all, this one was a Christmas present from Greg's mom. It's so cute! I love the little turtle pot, and the plant even has a cute name.


It's called a piggy back plant, because the new little leaves grow up from the old leaf and it looks like they're riding piggy back.


This one sits on the window sill in my kitchen and greets me every morning. Thank you Lory!

4 comments:

Ali said...

Your house must have better oxygen than most...I wonder what it's like to breathe in all that green, fresh, clean air?! Cute piggy back plant :)

Granma Faye said...

Well, after all that work I hope you finally got rid of those annoying dumb flies! Wow, Holly, you're dedicated. I probably would have just been disgusted enough to dump the whole works--apologies to the plants. Hopefully, you can enjoy them now sans flies.

That turtle is really a darling plant pot.

Granma Faye said...

P.S. I love the pretty blue background for your blog.

Lory said...

Holly, I agree with your mom, you are dedicated! That sounds like a lot of work. Having kids is going to be a piece of cake :) When they drive you nuts, just wash their roots and put them in a room together-you could read them the wild things book and tell them they're in a jungle-you'll come back when they are tame and civilized! Now you'll wonder how Greg survived?