Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mystery Sound


We live in an apartment that was built on top of metal storage units, so the outside of our apartment is all metal too. I can't figure out what this sound is. Sometimes it wakes me up in the morning, and sometimes (like right now) it distracts me from working on homework in the middle of the day. I know that birds like to hang around for some reason because I hear them running and tapping around on the roof in the morning. I've seen owls perch at the top point of the roof at night, and I've seen those pesky tomato-eating magpies jumping around on the roof too. This sound is like a woodpecker, but I've never caught a glimpse of one yet. It's going on right now, and I keep looking out the windows and running on the deck to see it, but it evades my site. Our apartment is basically a big box, so I hear the sound on the far wall. As I run towards that window I hear it on the left wall, then on the front wall. I run to the other window and hear it on the back wall, then on the left, on the right, the left! On the back! The front! Ahhhhh! Stupid bird or what ever you are! I think I need to camp out at the apartments next door and watch for it...Maybe I'll get a BB gun too.

4 comments:

Summer said...

hahaahhah
we had a mystery knocking sound in our bathroom wall a few nights ago. It kept us up with worry that maybe something was leaking or there was too much pressure in the pipes. It turned out that the other toilet flushed and then kept running. all we had to do was tap the flushing knob to get it to quit. so dumb!

Ali said...

Ah! If it's as beautiful a bird as the one you posted, DON'T SHOOT! Birds are tricky little things. The ones next to Jeff's parents house imitate car alarms- it's the craziest thing!

I hope you can put a stop to it soon...or create some white noise in your house with a fan so it's not so obvious?

Holly said...

Haha, don't worry. That about the BB gun was a joke. I don't have one or know how to use it, and I'm sure I'd miss anyway. But that sound is annoying, whatever it is.

Granma Faye said...

Man, that is enough to just drive ya crazy! You at least want to SEE what's making that noise! Grrr...I'm sure it's very distracting. Ali's idea of white noise is good. You'd have to do something like that to set your mind at peace so you can focus on other stuff.