Sunday, January 9, 2011

Flower Hair Clips

Wendy taught me how to make these pretty flower clips when we had our Sister's weekend last year.


Since then I've had a lot of fun making lots of different kinds. They are so easy, fast, and inexpensive to make that I thought it would be a good idea to use as a birthday gift for our Young Women this year. We're going to give them a small plate of cookies and let them pick 3 clips when it's their birthday.


Today was the first birthday of the year, so everybody was wondering what the gift would be this year. They were pretty excited to see those flower clips! I'm glad! I was pretty sure they would like them, but it would be sad if they didn't. So, it was a success.



How to make them:
Get some fabric that is like silk, or a synthetic polymer. (Not cotton)

Cut out circles of the fabric of different sizes. I like to do a small, medium, and large circle. Three to five layers is good.


Put the fabric near a candle flame. You will have to experiment a little to see how the fabric reacts. Usually I just move the fabric in and out of the flame carefully to get the edges to scrunch up. If you're really good, you can make it look like there are actual petals, instead of just a scrunched up circle. It's also a good idea to make sure the edges is melted all the way around the circle to keep it from fraying later. (It's hard to go back and fix it after the clip is made.)

When all the layers are done, you can use a glue gun to glue them together and to glue the flower to the clip. (Make sure you don't glue the clip closed!) The glue stays kind of tacky for awhile, so I like to stick a piece of toothpick in the clip to keep it open a little. I also like to clip it on the edge of a plate after it's had time to cool with the toothpick.


If you are buying fabric, you can ask for 4 to 5 inches and you can make several flowers with that. If you want to make a lot of clips, it's cheap to buy the clip part online. I found some on Amazon: 50 clips for $2, with $5 shipping.

The other part is the center of the flower. You can use a jewel (with a sticky back), a button, a pearl...etc. My favorite thing to use is that clear flower-shaped jewel you can see in my flowers. I like how shiny it is.

11 comments:

Annaliese said...

We made these at girls camp this year. Except we did each layer of petals a different color. I like the jewel centers, that's really cute.

Ethatch said...

Awesome Holly, thanks for the tutorial. Apparently all the Bennett girls are quite creative!

Granma Faye said...

Those are beautiful, Holly! I really like those centers. You did such a good job. That makes an awesome gift for the YW. Good idea! Affordable, too!

Anonymous said...

Nice work. I'm glad you enjoy making things instead of buying things. There's so much more satisfaction in owning something you created your own self.

Amy said...

I saw one in your hair on Sunday! They look great. What a fun idea to give them as gifts to your YW.

Summer said...

those are so pretty holly. and so nice of you to make those for teh girls. i like the little sparkle flower you put in the center.

Linda said...

Lovely flowers, I like the way you did the centers, It is fun to do creative things. I think those flowers would look nice clipped to an evening bag.
They would also be cute to use as a clip to hold a silk neck scarf in place, by adding a pin instead of a clip back or clipped to a necklace as the center piece. there are probably all kinds of different applications you do with that basic flower.

Ali said...

Your Young Women are lucky ducks! I know I've said it before...but I'll say it again:) Those are awesome.

Kaela said...

Thanks for the tutorial!! I have been wanting to make some like this:) Now I will just have to find some time to make them. You seem like the BEST YW leader ever!!!

Lory said...

These look really nice! Can we have a make hair clip day? I'm not brave enough to do it alone....Those birthday gals are lucky!

Wendy Jean said...

You've become an expert at making them! I haven't done any since September and now I'm all out of practice. Glad you've kept it up! Now I can benefit from your talent. :)