Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Verizon Sucks

(That's not my car.)


This may be a boring blog post because it's not about treats or fun things...but because we live in America and we can speak freely about pretty much anything, I want to tell this story so I can give Verizon some bad advertising. I think they earned it after by trying so hard to rip us off.

I like having a phone, and it's pretty much required in our society...but we were really close to canceling our Verizon account.

A few months ago we decided to cancel Greg's phone so we could trim down our budget and save more money. So we called in November and asked them to cancel it. There were some cancellation fees, and they said the phone could not be canceled in the middle of a billing cycle (which I know to be untrue). In December we were supposed to pay the cancellation fee and the bill for my phone only. They told us about what that would be, and then they told us what we would be paying in January and forever while we just have my phone. December came and Greg's phone kept working. He had stopped using it, but used it again one day by accident and then realized he still had service. So he called them again and spent a LONG time on the phone, finally figuring out that the person made a note to cancel the phone, but never actually did it.

So they canceled it a few days late, and charged us for those days even though it was their fault... Since we pay a month in advance, we were supposed to be refunded what we paid for Greg's phone in December, but they didn't refund all of the charges. So in January when we were supposed to pay half of what we used to pay, our bill was only a few dollars less. Greg spent over about an hour on the phone with a guy trying to figure it out. The guy didn't understand it, so he'd put Greg on hold for 20 minutes at a time to ask the supervisor. The supervisor would convince the guy it was right, and then he'd talk to Greg again. And Greg would point out another problem and it'd start all over. Greg printed out several pages of our payment history and tried calling again. The lady on the phone said, "I will try to explain it to you." Instead of, "I will try to find the problem." She refused to look for a mistake on Verizon's part, and was irritated when Greg explained the first mistake to her. She still refused to look for mistakes and kept trying to explain why she was right. So he hung up.

We went to the Verizon store to talk to someone in person. Greg took the pages he printed out and explained step by step how Verizon had messed up and what our bill should be. The guy at the store then had to call the same people we've been calling, and he explained it to them step by step as Greg had done. FINALLY they recognized that they were capable of making a mistake and fixed the billing for us. That took an hour and a half at the store.


And at the end of it all, we felt like we should be compensated for the many hours we spent trying to fix the problem that was not our fault, but Verizon refused to do anything. I was mad that we had to work so hard to get our billing fixed, and had to spend so much time doing it. I'm mad that they continued to deny there were any mistakes, and I can't imagine what kind of idiot the supervisor was to continually go over the history with the other employee and convince him that it was right, while there were glaring mistakes. This makes me think they purposefully overcharged us and are dishonest in their business dealings.

Most people would have given up and just paid the bill. What a bunch of jerks.

5 comments:

Kami said...

I agree. I could tell you about the issues we had with them and the low blows they pulled too. It's a lot like your story. I was so glad to be rid of them. They also failed to cancel our service but it took them three months to get the "memo." I became pretty familiar with good old "Sonjay" in India.

Carrissa Hellewell said...

How frustrating! Why are cell phones such a necessity these days? I mean I guess they are good when everything is working well, but if you ever have to deal with the companies. I really just have had no good luck with them!

Granma Faye said...

I like my Tracfone. Easy, prepay. Buy the card with minutes and that's the end of it. Of course, it's not great if you talk ALOT on the phone or if it's your ONLY phone. It's good for emergencies or a quick call here or there. What a pain to spend all that time trying to get the bill straight! How frustrating!

Anonymous said...

I believe they train people to stall and "make mistakes." I tried to talk to the credit department of the Bon Marche years ago, and the woman intentionally "misunderstood" everything I told her and repeated it back to me wrong. However, I anticipated this and had the story all typed up, so I just handed it to her and said, "Since you cannot hear, maybe you can read." She still continued to "misunderstand" and repeat the details back to me incorrectly. She was intentionally trying to get me angry so she could say I was being threatening and kick me out, and in so doing, avoid dealing with the actual issue. I never did get a straight response from them, and so we just quit doing business with them for many years. What did they gain? Idiots.

Summer said...

We used to have Verizon too. Never again. They couldn't explain all the side fees to the regular bill and we had a heck of time cancelling too.