Thursday, October 25, 2007

Christmas Oatmeal!


I'm just calling it Christmas oatmeal because it smells and tastes like Christmas. I put it all in the pot last night and let all the flavors just soak and mingle. As you can see, I added a couple spoonfuls of powdered milk, some chopped up apple, raisins, a dash of salt, a small sprinkle of ground cloves, a bigger sprinkle of nutmeg, and a lot more cinnamon, and some brown sugar. You can also add a couple spoonfuls of flaxseed or wheatgerm for extra fiber and protein. (You might want to slowly add this (flaxseed/wheatgerm) to your diet...it's very good for you, but if you put too much all at once it will be hard on your stomach and not feel very good. Well, my stomach hurt anyway when I tried it) So you can just kind of figure out how you like it. I didn't measure anything...I just put it in til it smelled and tasted good to me. Yum!

4 comments:

Summer said...

fun holly. I like how you dispayed everything and took a picture of it.

Ali said...

Wow. I wish I could just "throw" things together and make it that good! I require a recipe to make just about anything besides your basics. I love flaxseed too. I recently started having yogurt with granola in the mornings and I'll just add a spoonful of flaxseed to it for goodness! Way to cook healthy!!

Kaela said...

Yummy, Holly. You seem like a great cook. A healthy one too. I am trying to get healthier, and it feels so good and is so fun. I got some flaxseed at Costco this last week and we have used it a lot already. I haven't noticed a tummy-ache yet, *knock on wood :)

Holly said...

Kaela~
I think I just got a tummy ache because I overloaded my system. I added two tbsp of flaxseed and two tbsp of wheatgerm all at once while switching from Malt O'Meal to real oatmeal, and that day just didn't go so well. I've read that you should slowly increase the fiber in your diet so your body can get used to working harder to digest food. It sounds like you're doing ok though--so that's good! And it doesn't bother me anymore.