Monday, October 8, 2007

Pretzle Recipe!

I found this recipe when I was poking around Kaela's blog and looking at the links she had listed. This comes from a link called "Sugar Doodle." Greg and I like them so much, we've made them about four times in the last couple weeks. It's fun to do with friends too. We've taken the dough to our friend's houses and then let everybody make their own pretzle to bake. It's a little tricky getting it to twist just right....I usually just make a long snake and then roll it up and squish it together in a big blob. I like them better softer.


You'll need:
1 package of dry yeast
1-1/2 cups lukewarm water (not hot)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups of flour
1 beaten egg
extra salt

Dissolve yeast in warm water and let rise a few minutes. Add sugar and salt and blend in 4 cups flour. Turn dough out on floured table or breadboard and knead until smooth. Refrigerate until you are ready to use.

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease cookie sheet or toaster oven tray. Cut off 4" piece of dough, roll into ropes about six to eight inches, or a length you can easily twist. Twist into shape with loop at top and two arms folded over. Arrange on lightly greased toaster oven tray or cookie sheet allowing space between pretzels for expansion. Brush with beaten egg -- those places you miss will not brown. Sprinkle with salt. Bake 12-15 minutes. Ovens may vary so check after 7-8 minutes.

We found 10 minutes to be the perfect baking time for our pretzles. I haven't tried this yet, but my mom suggested sprinkling cinnamon and sugar instead of salt. We've had our pretzels with split pea soup, tomatoe soup, spaghetti, and with jam...all very good!

5 comments:

Summer said...

Fun Holly, I'll have to try that. Isn't it fun pokin' around people's blogs? So much to learn and try!

Kaela said...

Mmmm... pretzels sound so good. Thanks for the tried and true recipe, I will have to try it too!

Ali said...

Thanks for the tip! Gotta love a good pretzel...I am so impressed with how domestic you are! But not surprised, all you Bennetts are ;) Your Mom taught you well :)

Granma Faye said...

Hey, everyone~ don't forget to sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar! :) ♥ I wanna try it, too!

Wendy Jean said...

Sounds good, Holly! I bet the boys would like making those with me. Fun!