Monday, August 10, 2009

Cool Bug

Everybody else is showing off the cool bugs they find so I will too.


I almost grabbed this guy when I was pulling weeds on the edge of the garden. He flinched as my hand came towards him and I realized he wasn't part of the vine. I watched him crawl up into the garden and stand in different poses in the pumpkin vines. I was surprised at how fast he can move! Sometimes he'd just go so slow, and then suddenly have a burst of energy and whip around into a different place and position.


I'm pretty sure he's a praying mantis. I didn't think so at first because he's kind of small, and when he just stood still with all his legs stretched out, he looked more like the little stick-bugs I used to have when I was a kid.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a praying mantis. They callum that because their front legs sort of look like they are praying, but its all a trick. They are actually preying.

Linda said...

Love your comments and pictures.
good job on altering the sleeves
It looks like your garden is really doing well. You have the proverbial "green thumb" Good for you, fresh garden veggies are just the best.
Love Aunt Linda

Summer said...

fun..hey, remember when you had a pet walking stick and we let it loose at the library? ahhahah