Saturday, August 8, 2009

Tradegy Struck, but I overcame


Haha, I know, it sounds dramatic. I couldn't bring myself to take a picture or post this right after it happened, but I'm over it now. I made the last garden post Sunday morning. When we got home from church it looked like there had been an explosion on the back deck. The tomato frame was broken and bent, and pieces of it had been flung in all directions. Amazingly enough, all of the tomatoes except one were perfectly ok. The frame broke in a way that all the bags were still hanging on it. One end of the pipe was on the ground and the other was resting up on the rail, so the bag with the biggest tomatoes was hanging about two feet from the ground, and each one down was hanging a little closer. The second to last bag was sitting upright on the ground and the last one was on it's side smashing one of the plants. I kind of wanted to cry, but I also wanted to laugh because that smashed plant looked so funny--like a cartoon. It's hard to tell from the picture but it was just flat like a piece of paper.

I'm happy to say that after about 6 days that plant has recovered and they are all doing well. It really is a miracle.

This is the idea that I came up with yesterday. Now it seems the most obvious thing to do. Greg built this shelf for me to put my flower boxes on last year. (I had a bunch of strawberries growing there.) The boxes fit fine on top of the rail so I just moved them over and used the shelf for the tomatoes.


Greg was worried about how we would get to the tomatoes that grow on the other side, but I can reach through the rail pretty easily. If I have to, I can jump over the rail and stand on the other side. (I'd be standing on top of a storage unit.)


I hope I don't have any more problems now with these tomatoes. Unless it starts snowing or something, I think they should be fine now.

4 comments:

Ali said...

You are quite the Eve to your garden :) Those tomatoes are lucky to have you! ...and I must say, I can taste the envy now...I know I'll be drooling when you post about them once they're fully grown.

Granma Faye said...

Oh, that's sad about your framework collapsing. What a disappointment. Back to the drawing board on that design, huh? Anyway, glad there were no injuries (to the tomatoes) hahaha ♥

Kaela said...

Sad- I'm glad you overame though:)

Summer said...

you guys have a ton of tomatoes! Glad they recovered okay. that would be alot to lose.