Friday, August 28, 2009

Death and Destruction

This is the last picture of Fred and George when they were both alive...



I tried putting them in a paper cup so you could see them better. They are joyfully swimming around in circles, which happens to be their favorite past-time.


Yesterday I changed the water in the bowl so Fred and George would be more comfortable, (and it looks a lot nicer too). When I put them back in, they did their usual annoying thing of swimming against the thermometer so it moved and turned and I couldn't see the water temperature. I decided to just take it out of the bowl because I was tired of trying to move the bowl around to see the temperature. At the time, they were both swimming against the thermometer from opposite sides, and when I pulled the thermometer straight up out of the water they crashed into each other. It was kind of funny. They just swam at each other nose to nose for a minute and then one veered off to the side and got out of the way. I noticed from time to time that they would run into each other again and do that same thing....like they were blind or something.

Well, this morning when we got up we found a horrifying, well, really just gross disgusting site. They apparently had a battle to the death while we were sleeping, because one was dead. The live one was eating the dead one straight in half. Gross! (And I just cleaned their water! Now it's going to be all dirty again.) When I got home from school today, the live triops was A LOT bigger, and the dead one was completely severed in half....the head is floating around partly eaten and the tail is resting at the bottom. Gross! I can hardly stand to look at it because it's so sick. Hahahhahaha! I was thinking of trying to scoop the dead body out of the tank right away so it wouldn't foul the water, but if the other guy wants to eat it up, well, I don't want to intrude.

This is George, returning to the scene of the crime...



...taking a few more bites of Fred....



Yes George, it's a sad cold lonely world now. You've eaten your best friend and now you have to deal with the consequences.




Just thought you might like to know how the triops were doing.

6 comments:

Granma Faye said...

Now we know how the Triop (singular) is doing. hahhaha...yuck! The little cannabal! Opposition in all things, I guess, even in a little fish bowl! Thanks for the blow-by-blow account, Holly. That was charming! : ) ♥

Holly said...

It is actually still Triops with the "S" even if it's one...It's like the name Wells. It's still Wells even if you're just talking about one person in that family.

Granma Faye said...

Yeah, I figured as much. Just being funny. ♥

Carrissa Hellewell said...

Thats terrible...What a lonely life now huh?

Ali said...

haha!! That's hilarious! The bumb into each other must have been the last straw! Too funny that they'll actually fight and eat each other! Crazy! Still, it makes me want to get them.

Summer said...

hahahh so funny and gross. That is fun to see them full grown though!