Saturday, August 8, 2009

Little Sewing Project

I was fed up with this shirt. I really love the shirt actually, but the sleeves were annoying because there was a small part that was too tight. I thought for awhile, "Maybe if I loose 10 pounds I can wear this shirt comfortably." Ha.
So I finally got up the guts to try making some adjustments to my shirt.

The shorter sleeve is the one that I fixed. The longer sleeve is the problem. I don't know if you can tell, but around the edge where they sewed that end piece it gets really tight. I tried doing a few other things that didn't work, so I just cut it off as a last ditch effort. I'm glad it turned out well and I like it! I have a red shirt that is the same as this one, so I'll fix the sleeves on that one too.


This is the old sleeve:




And this is the new sleeve:



This is the red shirt--I just finished fixing it. The material is really stretchy, so I kind of pulled and stretched it as I sewed the hem so it would be loose. I really like how it turned out!

7 comments:

Wendy Jean said...

Good job on the sleeve altering. It looks good! You didn't need to lose 10 more pounds - you just have good strong biceps!

Ali said...

Both look great! I need to get to my own mending....

Granma Faye said...

I just gave Summer my white shirt that's identical to yours. The sleeves were too tight--right where yours were too tight. hahahaha and I thought about altering it, too, but then just thought, "Oh well, Sum can use it and I didn't want to spend the time on it. Plus, I HAVE gained 10 lbs. and so the middle was snugger than I liked, too. Grrr... It fits Summer just great. Good job making your shirts work for you, Holly. It's so nice to sew and have a machine, huh? I love it.

Carrissa Hellewell said...

Look at you! It looks really good! I wish I had the courage to do that! I have thought about redoing some of my shirts to better fit. But I get nervous that it wont turn out and I really like them :) oh well!

Ethatch said...

Good job Holly, I like the new sleeve length better!

Kaela said...

Awesome- looks great!!

Summer said...

That is so funny because mom was just telling me how she tried to do the same thing on some of her shirts. good job. that's always scary to cut into a shirt you really like.