Thursday, April 15, 2010

Happy Birthday

It's my birthday tomorrow. I can't be excited yet because I have a chemistry test tonight at 8:30pm. I'm supposed to be thinking about the citric cycle and the structure of glucose, but all I can think about is tomorrow and my plans to visit Summer. I like school, but I'm also looking forward to the days when I don't have to make myself sit still all day and study.

Since blog posts are no fun without pictures, here is a lovely picture of the back of my last quiz in chemistry. (I didn't want to show the front with my Student ID number. Somebody might steal it and do who knows what.)

(I used the red and black pen...all those purple marks are from the teacher...)


I've actually been doing very well on my quizzes this semester (96% average), but this quiz was awful. For some reason, my teacher has had it in his head that we all know what electron pushing is and how to do it. He believes we learned it in a previous course. The fact is, all the students who have taken 101, 105, and 106 have never seen electron pushing before. (This is Chem 102.) If you don't know what it is, you can study my quiz a little or look it up online. It's very complicated, and since it is like a puzzle--you just figure out each problem case by case, it's almost impossible to teach...and even harder to learn.....Especially when your teacher is in love with chemistry and thinks it's great and thinks we love it and know as much as he does.

He finally gave in last week and had our T.A.'s in lab spend two hours teaching us how to do it. Then we took that quiz. We were able to use all our notes from the previous two hours. I spent 45 minutes working on that quiz, and I got a zero. My T.A. said that out of the whole class (about 300 students) nobody got better than 10/18. Lame. In my section, nobody got higher than 6/18. Wouldn't you think that would send a message to our teacher? On the last exam we had an electron pushing problem worth 10 points, and nobody in the class got better than 5/10.

Electron pushing is not in our book. We're just supposed to magically know it already. Fortunately, I know the rest of the material about disaccharides and the electron transport chain pretty well, since it is in the book.

...So wish me luck on my test tonight!

3 comments:

Granma Faye said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Holly!!! Thank goodness you'll have that chem test behind you. ugh...I'm glad I didn't have your teacher. I was lucky to get the very best teacher in the world. I just loved him. Good teacher and sweet, sweet man. Hope you did well on your test, Holly. : )

I loved the day you were born and all the days since, watching you grow up.
Love my Holly Dolly!

Carolyn said...

Happy Birthday, Holly! That quiz sounds awful. I hope you did well on the test!

Ali said...

Eeew, chemistry was my absolute hardest subject...and lame about the teacher not covering everything before he tests. I was amazed to learn at BYU how much a teacher makes such a big difference in grades. My roommate would be taking the same class I was but from a much more laid back professor and she'd NEVER study or even do some projects and it was so frustrating to me when I worked my tail off that she got a better grade than me in that class!

I hope you celebrated lots after the fact! Happy Birthday:)