Monday, March 23, 2009

Growing Crystals

I bought this little crystal growing kit a few weeks ago for us to do for fun for a date night. We finally got to it tonight. Here's a few pictures for the beginning, and then I'll post pictures later when the crystals have formed.



I read the instructions and Greg did a good job doing what I told him to do and mixing the solution. He even wore the safety goggles! (Haha, they're made for a small child and looked funny on him. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture.)






So it's supposed to grow some bigger frosty white crystals in one, and then dark purple geodes in the other. It's actually just the same crystals with dye that will grow on a plaster mold that we made.




This is about an hour after we poured the solution. The crystals are forming fast!

2 comments:

Granma Faye said...

Fun, Holly. I immediately thought of us doing this for your science project. Remember the nice, big posters and crystal displays? It's cool how FAST they grow. ♥

Wendy Jean said...

the kids would love that! I tried making crystals from a home recipe using charcoal but it didn't work. I should try it again and see if I can make it work.