Tuesday, March 3, 2009

New Plant: Bromeliad



This is what Greg got me as a welcome home present when I came home from Texas. It's called a Bromeliad. Mine looks just like this, only there aren't any purple flowers opening up from the big pink part yet. It looks kind of exotic. It makes me feel like I'm on an island when I look at it. It goes perfect with a pretty doily Grandma made that is the same color of pretty green and pink.

I looked online and found that the Bromeliad is a part of the pineapple family. The Bromeliad is also know as the Urn plant. I was surprised to find that it could take about three to bloom.

Also, I thought it was funny that they call new little plants "pups." After the Bromeliad flowers, pups form and then the plant will dies. When the pup is half the size of the big plant you can cut it off and plant it as a new plant. That kind of reminds me of the spider plant does.

I hope you have enjoyed this week's gardening lesson!

3 comments:

Wendy Jean said...

what a cool looking plant! looks like it came from hawaii - very pretty!

Unknown said...

yes that is a very cool plant! It has some beautiful color:)

Granma Faye said...

Just as an added note: Bromelain is an enzyme derived from the pineapple plant used to aid digestion...as well as for other medical purposes. I just looked up Bromelain to see if it comes from the Bromelaid plant but apparently it comes only from pineapple. Papain, also used to help digestion comes from papaya. Until I saw your post, I didn't know there was a Bromelaid (AKA Bromelade) plant. It is a beautiful plant, Holly. Pretty color and very exotic/tropical. It is from Hawaii, if I remember correctly what I was reading a few minutes ago. I LOVE Google. You can learn so much in an instant. Retaining it is another story! : )♥