Thursday, September 18, 2008

Crazy Mutant Tomatoes

Ok, so you probably saw my crazy wacky carrots (July 16th post) and now I'm sharing with you my crazy wacky tomatoes. I found this one growing, and thought it was two. It reminds me of cell division when the process goes wrong and doesn't complete itself. Or when you're supposed to have twins but they never separate and get born sharing a head or some legs.



And this one is green because a stupid bird found it and pecked out the side of it. (Of course, the birds always pick the biggest best tomato to peck at. Couldn't they pick a small weird one? Do they really know the difference?) Anyway, I decided to cut it up and see what it looks like inside. I though it was weird how there are so many little sections inside. It's kind of like a bunch of small tomatoes grew together. It would have been a good one, but I have a lot of other good tomatoes still so it's ok.



My gardening expert friend told me that they leave some fruit on their fruit trees for the birds. They pick what's convenient and don't worry about the rest. From his extensive studies (and this is his opinion--not church published doctrine) one of the many things in Sodom and Gomorrah that made God mad was that the people were selfish and didn't share their fruit with the animals. They covered all their fruit trees completely so the birds couldn't even get to the fruit at the top. That's not why I took the nets off my tomato plants though...The leaves got stuck in the netting and it seemed to be not a good thing for the plants. I try to pick off all the tomatoes that are red or near-red so the birds aren't so attracted to my garden area. I guess they like green tomatoes now. I'll have to put up some pictures of the pumpkins soon too. Two of them are turning orange, and one of them is pretty large! I'd say it would be a $15 pumpkin at the grocery store! Gardens are great!

2 comments:

Summer said...

That is funny how your tomatoes turned out. I didn't know about the Sodom story. hmm oh well.

Wendy Jean said...

I was thinking the same thing about your mutant tomato - it didn't finish the dividing process. That is an interesting idea/story about Sodom and Gomorrah.