Sunday, September 7, 2008

Tablecloth!

I finally got tired of our ugly old vinyl tablecloth that had little holes torn in it and wouldn't wipe clean all the way. I also got tired of our stupid squares of carpet that we kept (from when they put in new carpet here) and have been using as floor mats in the kitchen. They were only supposed to be there for a short time until we got real mats, and then I kind of forgot how stupid they looked and never got normal mats. Anyway, so I went to walmart and found a couple mats that I really liked and thought weren't too flowery for Greg. Then I went to pick out some fabric for my table cloth (all the table clothes already made were ugly, like the old one I just threw away.)

I spent a lot of time looking through the fabric, then unhappily picked one that was kind of ok. I just couldn't find one that I loved. But then I couldn't find the lady that's supposed to cut the fabric, so I went looking for her. Then I noticed some really pretty fabric with grapes and vines, so I quickly traded that one out and got it instead. I was so happy to find something I liked a lot. And it matched really well with the mats I got! (Matching is very important to me.)

So this is the finished product.



Look! A wild oven mitt in it's natural habitat! Can you see it? That was the most exciting thing I found when I got home! The table cloth matches the oven mitt and kitchen towels I already had! I didn't even know that when I was at the store.



And this is the floor mat that kind of matches. It has grapes anyway.



And this is the sad part of the story. The first time we sat down for dinner and I put my plate on the table I realized in utter horror how badly the plate color/design clashes with the table cloth! How sad! I remember my mom would always have pretty paper plates (like for Thanksgiving or Christmas) that match the place mat she made that matches the table cloth that matches the color of food on the table...



So I decided to switch out my dishes with the set Summer gave me for half the year. Those plates are just white and go better. Then I will take my pretty blue plates to the fabric store and find some fabric to make a matching table cloth. The question is...Will my floor mats and heat pads still match? Hahaha! I think I will just have to not worry about that part.

5 comments:

Granma Faye said...

Oh, that's so funny, Holly! It made me smile to read about how you discovered your plates don't match--not EVEN a little bit! Yuck! Yeah, you kinda have to decide if you want white or neutral plates so you can have designed, colorful placemats/tablecloth....or vice versa. I'm so glad that your potholders, coincidentally, matched the pretty fabric you chose for the tablecloth. It turned out great. Really nice, Holly. I also like your floor mat. Looks good in the kitchen. ♥

Summer said...

hahha that's funny. those plates don't match! hahahh
I like the table cloth. It looks like something mom would have. That's funny your mitts happen to match perfectly! Good job on the tablecloth!

Kaela said...

Way to go sewing that tablecloth! I think sewing can feel so powerful sometimes- just the ability to be able to create so many things:) I love that they match so many other things in your kitchen too- it all look great. And those blue plates are beautiful... and unfortunately really don't match your lovely tablecloth. Bum.mer:)

Unknown said...

wow holly, you did good! now you need to teach me:)

Wendy Jean said...

That is funny Holly about your blue plates. They really don't match! What a happy surprise though to find your pot holders match perfect. I laughed reading about how Mom had everything matching for holiday dinners. So true!