Sunday, September 7, 2008

Purse!



I went to visit my parents a little while ago and my two sisters came at the same time. It's tradition to always have a project to do when we all get together, so this time Summer had the idea for us to all make a purse. I was excited because it gave me a chance to sew and they could show me how and help me with the hard parts. Most of the purse was pretty simple, and was a good way for me to practice sewing in a straight line and around a curve. Mom and Wendy finished their purses in one day, but mine kind of dragged out longer. The end part was really difficult, so Mom helped with it. The bottom is an oval and you have to fit it on and sew it together, but it really doesn't fit together, and the sewing machine doesn't really go in a circle like that....somehow Mom got it to work and then I finished it up. I had fun with the zig-zag stitch, going around the raw edges and making them look smooth and finished. I went around the bottom of the purse twice with that just because it was fun.



And now I have a really cute purse! It was kind of fun to see what fabric we all picked out. It really showed each person's personality by the color and pattern on the fabric. Mine was bright blue (everything I love is blue) with flowers and butterflies, Wendy's had cute cherries on black for the outside and cherries on white for the inside, and my Mom had a really pretty fall looking material with fall colors that looked like trees, and the inside was pretty sparkly swirly red. I was kind of surprised Mom didn't make hers blue because she loves blue a lot too. Summer didn't make a purse because she was just helping me, but the purse she made at home was pretty cute with flowers and pink and brown.

And when my girls at church (I teach the mia maids) saw my purse they all said how cute it was and that they wanted to make one too! So we might have a couple mutual activities to make them purses.
Thanks for the idea and help Summer!

5 comments:

Ali said...

So cute! I love the bright color :) I also love the idea of doing a project with the sisters every time you get together :)

Granma Faye said...

Yeah, I really liked making those purses. Yours is so pretty in that turquoise color. I want to make more--just for fun. Well, Christmas is coming. Maybe I'll do that for gifts. :) I'm glad we could help you, Holly, so you could have one, too. Those are the kind of simple projects you need to do to learn how to sew. They're not so big and intimidating. ♥

Summer said...

yay, I finally get to see the finished product. I really like that fabric. Glad you could get it done. good job!

Kaela said...

I also love that you guys do a project every time you get together. Often when I go home my mom and I will try to tackle a project or two together too. It is so nice to get her expert opinion and help as I am just learning. Looks like you did a great job on your purse and it is so cute!!

Wendy Jean said...

I finally get to see your finished purse. The color is so pretty! Good job. That was fun making the purses together. Thanks Sum!