Saturday, October 11, 2008

Baby Blanket

I made this for my friend who is having a baby girl. It was my first blanket and turned out to be trickier than I thought. Well, it was easy until I started sewing with the silky part. I didn't know that it would snag so bad on the little foot that moves the fabric from underneath. (I forgot what that part's called...something like dog feeders, or eating dogs, or something like that.) Anyway, I figured out that putting masking tape on the silky part made it work ok. I just put it on the side and left the part that was getting stitched clear so the needle wouldn't get all gummed up. I thought I'd be fancy too and use the heart stitch instead of just a boring straight line or zig-zag. That was tricky too. Since the tape was on it, the foot didn't move it along like it should, so I had to pull it through and try to keep it steady. The hearts are different sizes (skinny or fat) because I couldn't pull it through exactly the same the whole time. Overall it doesn't look too bad though.



I was so tired, I started falling asleep while I waited for Greg to come take a picture of it. (Well, and he got distracted and took a long time too.) Doesn't it look cozy and nice?



I also was happy to be able to use one my cool labels. I bought these about two years ago when I first got all my sewing stuff.



This morning at the Baby Shower I thought it was funny how everybody was so excited about the blanket. They thought I hand stitched the hearts, but couldn't believe it, so they were asking me how I did that. I said a little sheepishly, "Well, I just pushed the heart button." And they asked how I made my label, and I said I bought it. "No, no, Holly. How did you get your name to look so nice on it like that?" "Um, well, I bought it with my name on it."

Anyway, everybody else just got her baby clothes, so I was glad I could give her something different, and that everybody didn't make baby blankets too. It was hard to give it away. After I worked on it so much I felt kind of attached. I might just have to make myself one later.

5 comments:

Ali said...

Do it! Do it now while all the tricks are still fresh in your mind, and put it away in your hope chest :) I think it looks great!! So pretty. Yesterday I spent all day making blankets for my sister and friend who both are having babies this month and I sewed silking bias on too- and it IS hard!! Your corners look better than mine though...I'm curious as to how you did them?/! Once again, I'm impressed. I wish you could teach me your tricks.

Wendy Jean said...

Good job, Holly! It looks really good. I didn't know you had those labels with your name. Where did you find those? I want some! That blanket project doesn't look like it came from a beginner sewer. :)

Granma Faye said...

Oh, that looks really good, Holly! I did a zoom up on the picture so I could see the print on the fabric. Cute little lady bugs it look like. That's adorable. You did really well on something unfamiliar and hard to work with because of the slippery material. Those little teeth are called feed dogs. Weird name, huh? Your persistence paid off but I know it was difficult and frustrating. You're doing good. It's nice you used your label, too. : ) ♥

Carrissa Hellewell said...

Wow Holly! Way to go! That blanket looks very cute! I think it would be fun to have cute stitching's like that on my sewing machine!

Summer said...

You're funny. dog feeder, dog eater? I don't remember the name either. I really like that fabric. It is so cute!! That's cool you had those labels. I didn't know you could buy them like that. how fun. the more you sew the better you'll get. I feel like I've improved just over a few weeks since I've been sewing so much before the baby comes. good job!