Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Garden Harvest


This is the rest of what we got from our garden. I think these peppers look cool, with some of them turning red, purple and yellow. (I guess the purplish one doesn't show. One of our sweet banana peppers was turning purple. Greg put it in the salsa.)


This is all the ripe tomatoes we got before the freeze. They are chopped up for our last batch of "Garden Fresh" salsa for the year.


These are the green tomatoes that I'm trying to save. This is about 2/3rds of what was on the plants, but I just couldn't get it all. It's hard to know how many will ripen, but I'm keeping hope that some will. Especially the ones that are kind of orange right now.


These are tomatillos. They make the salsa really good. They are good chopped up and charred for mixing in the salsa. They are also really good fresh chopped on salads, or you can make chip dip. It's the main ingredient for the salsa verde. (That's what makes it so green.)


These are the onions. We have white globe onions and green onions.


And here's the pumpkins. I think these are the coolest thing from the garden. I carved one of them (on a previous post) and the rest I hope will finish turning orange. I will bake them and can the good stuff. Then I can use it to make pumpkin pie! Yum!



That's all folks! Please join us next year for Holly's Garden Adventures!

3 comments:

Granma Faye said...

It's all so colorful. Some of your pumpkins got to a pretty good size. That's pretty cool, Holly. Lots 'n lots of tomatoes! I think they'll ripen fine, especially if you keep them all together so the gases will co-mingle. The ripe ones will help the others ripen, (I think, is the way it works.) They just are more flavorful if they get to ripen in the sunshine. ♥

Ali said...

I didn't even know what tomatillos were up until two years ago...and you are GROWING them!

Summer said...

ha haha funny. sounds like a book. Holly's garden adventures.
We have a bunch of green bell peppers. I'm trying to think up ways to use them. So far i've thought of fajitas.